Welcome to Writing Pad. This Privacy Statement explains how Writing Pad, Inc., the proprietor and operator of writingpad.com, gathers, utilizes, and disseminates your personal data when you visit or make use of our website located at writingpad.com.
By accessing or engaging with our website, you confirm that you have read, comprehended, and consent to our gathering, retention, utilization, and disclosure of your personal information in accordance with this Privacy Statement and our Terms of Service.
What data do we collect?
We collect or receive personal information for purposes connected with our business operations which includes subscribing to our mailing list, creating an account, purchasing a product, or replying to a survey. Types of information captured can include contact information such as first and last name, email, phone number, location, writing background, credit card number (only last four digits are kept after transaction) or billing address.
We also collect information through cookies.
We use a digital shopping cart to enable you to purchase classes, events & other services online. To ensure that it works properly and securely, we need to be able to see your IP address, device type, web traffic patterns, general location, time spent on a given page and links you click on. We do this through small files (cookies) that store information and customize your experience. Our site uses these cookies:
- Visitor ID: This is an identifier that is stored when you visit our site. This is used to associate you with your shopping cart so that we can remember what is in your cart even if you don’t log in to our website. This also enables us to send abandoned cart emails to help you remember about your cart. Personally identifiable data is not included.
- Login Session ID: This is an identifier that is stored when you log in used to validate that you are authenticated. Personally identifiable data is not included.
- Cart Session ID: This is a cookie that identifies your shopping cart and helps us associate you with your shopping cart. This is so that we can remember what’s in your cart.
- CSRF cookies: This is part of a security mechanism that protects you and our website from malicious activity.
- Cookie consent: Your preferences for accepting or declining cookies on our website are saved as cookies to ensure your choices are remembered during your subsequent visits.
Third party cookies:
Our site uses various kinds of third-party cookies for marketing research. These may include:
- Cloudflare: We use Cloudflare to ensure the smooth operation and security of our website. They place cookies to differentiate users, but no personally identifiable data is included.
- Tawk: This enables our chat service so that you can ask for help anytime right from our website. The Tawk service stores basic personal information such as your name and email so that we can properly assist you. This information is only stored when you submit the chat form, otherwise no information is collected by this service. The stored information is neither shared nor sold to other third-party services.
- Vimeo: Vimeo is a video player that we use to share some of our videos/recordings. Vimeo stores cookie information when its video player is used but it does not collect any personal information.
- Active Campaign: Active Campaign is a customer relationship management tool that we also use to send email campaigns. Our campaign emails suggest new courses that you can take. Basic personal information such as names, email, phone number and your class history is stored in Active Campaign but this data is not shared or sold to other third-party services.
How we use your information
We share data internally to provide high-quality customer service, customize our communications with you, process your purchases, provide security and spam protection and improve your user experience. The email address you provide when you purchase a class or event is used to send you information and reminders related to your purchase. If you purchase a class or event on our website or add our name to our email list, we will send you updates and discounts for upcoming classes, events, and services as well as writing tips and alumni successes. If you want to unsubscribe from marketing emails, there is an unsubscribe link included at the bottom of each email.
We’re committed to the security of personal data. We have implemented the following security measures to ensure the safety of your personal information including hosting user information on a network-hosted server protected by firewall and antivirus software, securing data transmissions through SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) encryption, rigorously selecting third-party software providers known for their robust security policies, and post-payment, only the last four digits of your credit card number are retained in our company database. The remaining digits are not preserved in our system.
We also take appropriate security measures to limit abuse of and unauthorized access to personal data. This ensures that only the necessary persons have access to your data, that access is protected, and that our security measures are regularly reviewed.
Information disclosures to outside parties
We don’t sell your data, trade, or transfer your Personally Identifiable Information to third parties. We may release your information if it is required by law or if we deem it appropriate to protect our or others’ rights, property or safety. Personally identifiable information may be shared with web hosting partners and trusted third parties who work with us in running our website, operating our business, or supporting customers, as long as they commit to maintaining this information in confidence and use it only as necessary to complete services for Writing Pad.
How we respond to Do Not Track signals & Global Privacy Control
Our website responds to and supports the Do Not Track (DNT) header request field. If you turn DNT on in your browser, those preferences are communicated to us in the HTTP request header, and we will not track your browsing behavior.
Updating your information
Current and past Writing Pad students can update their account information by logging into their accounts on the writingpad.com homepage using the “LOG IN” button on the top right. For other information update requests, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 213.325.6910.
We’re CalOPPA compliant (California Online Privacy Protection Act) and don’t distribute your personal information to outside parties without your consent.
We’re COPPA compliant (Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act). Writing Pad’s website and online content is strictly limited to individuals 18 years of age or older. Writing Pad does not sell or share the personal information of visitors to their website that are less than 18 years old.
Deletion of User Information
Upon receipt of a verifiable request from a user, we will delete the user’s personal information from our records, unless retaining the information is necessary for us or our service providers to:
- Complete the transaction for which we collected the personal information, provide a good or service that you requested, take actions reasonably anticipated within the context of our ongoing business relationship with you, or otherwise perform our contract with you.
- Detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, or prosecute those responsible for such activities.
- Debug products to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality.
- Comply with a legal obligation.
To contact us